Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hospital Bed Confessions, 2/18/11

It's amazing how much life can throw at you. Currently, my dear online readers, I am wrapped in a johnny robe frustrated and bored on a horridly uncomfortable bed. My body has been ravaged to the point of exhaustion and while I remain positive, I am so very tired.

How this whirlwind journey has led me here is absolutely frightening. From mood swings and fatigue to migraines, pain and constant dizziness, the list goes on, and now I am internally bleeding. Add to this that I've been diagnosed with Diabetes and call me overwhelmed.

And even amid all this I am still cast under a suspicious light as soon as the "cursed" Lyme Disease debacle is brought up. I am repeatedly asked whether my chronic infectious disease of seventeen years has been resolved with the pathetic theoretical doses of antibiotics that no one has even been willing to prescribe me.

What truly saddens me however is that my situation is just one of many that brings to light the modern medical establishment's complete failure when it comes to attentive patient care. It took me nearly needing a blood transfusion before anyone would buck up and listen to me. Apparently it has become the norm to postpone adequate medical investigation until emergent care is needed. Tests that should have been done years ago, but I was denied access to, are now being offered up with ease.

I am appalled.

As an advocate for Chronic Lyme awareness and equality as well as a patient myself I have become privy to the stark reality of how we treat our sick in America. Unless you have a "cost-effective" illness, you are a liability and burden. The "business only" strategy of the insurance companies now dictates how you will be treated in all medical "transactions". I say transactions because diagnosis and treatment is handled no differently in the modern age than any financial wheel and deal on Wall Street. Your life is now weighed on the pros and cons of your profitability and whether you can be quickly "processed" and sent back to walk amidst the healthy flock, rolling on credit card debt and the crank of the fast food nation.

Not everyone is willing to be stuck on the sheep line however, myself included. I could have been dishonest about my medical history, but I remained steadfast in my opinion that I deserve equal access to medical treatment, Lyme Disease or not. No sick person should have to be put into the position where they must choose between telling the truth or risk receiving inadequate care.

My refusal to be treated as Patient X is concrete.

Afternoon, 2/18/11

No comments:

Post a Comment